Norfolk Island Services
Chrysalis Counselling & Coaching offers the Norfolk Island community an independent mental health service with the highest standards of confidentiality and integrity. Our aim is to give the community choices when it comes to seeking help for personal issues.
One thing we can guarantee, our senior Psychologist – Dr Kate – is here permanently so when you start the journey of making changes, we’ll be there for the long haul. No fly in – fly out services! Just good old-fashioned mental health support you can trust.
What mental health services are available?
- Counselling and Clinical Neuropsychotherapy
- Counselling to build general coping skills and wellbeing;
- Psychotherapy to address mental health disorders e.g. depression, anxiety disorders, trauma, relationship and family stress;
- Parenting support to help with children’s behaviour problems.
- Life Coaching
- Coaching for individuals and couples to build life skills for a better life, and enhance relationships e.g. targeted life skills such as managing emotions, resolving conflict constructively, better public speaking skills, parenting skills training, etc.
We can bulk bill all clinical mental health services direct to Medicare or your private health fund with no gap (added fees). If you choose to avoid getting a referral and Mental Health Plan from a doctor please ask about our private fees.
- Clinical, Developmental and Vocational Assessments
- Diagnostic testing for mental health problems e.g. stress, depression, anxiety disorders, PTSD, dementia, personality disorders, trauma, etc;
- Developmental screenings for children and teens e.g. IQ, social-emotional development;
- Psychological assessments and reports e.g. court reports, family environment profiling, parenting capacity assessments, and child & family risk assessments;
- Vocational testing to help identify suitable work pathways.
Our Psychological Testing Service typically requires three sessions – an initial background assessment (45 minutes – 1 hour), a testing session (1 – 1.5 hours), and a reporting session to explain our results (45 minutes – 1 hour). Additional time is required to score the assessments and prepare a full report.
Please note there is no Medicare rebate for this service but Psychological Testing can form part of a Mental Health Treatment Plan package.
- This varies depending on the assessments and reports required. Our baseline fee is $165 per hour.
- Mental Health First Aid
- Training in how to be an effective “first responder” in mental health crisis situations (please note this is not a course affiliated with other providers of MHFA, it will be adapted to the needs of the clients).
- Community Workshops
- Free information sessions covering a wide range of mental health problems and treatment approaches based on the most up-to-date scientific evidence;
- Short courses to provide community members with basic skills to understand and promote better mental health awareness.
- Employee Assistance Programs (EAP)
- Assessments and counselling to support staff in your business who may be struggling with personal or work-related issues affecting their performance.
How can I access these services?
Making an appointment to discuss your concerns is as easy as calling Dr Kate on 52112, or email email@example.com. She will listen to you, and make suggestions as to the best way forward. If counselling is needed, we will discuss how to get a Mental Health Treatment Plan from a doctor so the service can be bulk billed to Medicare or Department of Veteran’s Affairs – this will mean no out-of-pocket costs for up to 20 consultations per year. This includes referring you to online GP referral services with which we are affiliated so you can discuss your personal matters in confidence.
Dr Kate is available for booked appointments during business hours, evenings and weekends.
What if I prefer to pay a fee for a private consultation?
All Dr Kate’s services are absolutely confidential unless your situation requires support from other service providers, such as lawyers, psychiatrists, other health practitioners or specialists. We will discuss this at the first appointment.
If you prefer not to speak with your doctor about your concerns, a fee of $85 per session can be paid direct to our service, and you can book as many sessions as you need.
Can you recommend other mental health services?
There is no “one size fits all” when it comes to mental health needs – we believe that all members of the community have the right to find the Psychologist or Psychiatrist who best suits them, so we are happy to recommend other options.
The Norfolk Island community as a Remote Location has access to any Psychologist or Psychiatrist anywhere in Australia who offers telehealth services.
Chrysalis Counselling & Coaching has an affiliation with Psych2U which provides an Australia-wide service with Psychiatrists and Psychologists.